Little Makalolo lies in the heart of Hwange National Park, in one of its best game viewing areas, overlooking a vibrant waterhole. The camp's six rooms have en-suite facilities, with both indoor and outdoor showers. Solar power is used for electricity ensuring a lighter environmental footprint.
The living areas include a dining room, lounge, plunge pool and an open fire area for those convivial evening fireside tales. There is a log pile hide overlooking the waterhole in front of camp where guests can enjoy wildlife viewing during the siesta hours.
Activities centre on open 4x4 Land Rover game drives and guided nature walks throughout the Makalolo concession. The area's large number of waterholes attracts game in both quantity and variety, especially in the winter months when Hwange is literally home to a Noah's Ark parade of animals as they come down to quench their thirst.
Makalolo is one of the best areas for seeing impressive herds of buffalo and elephant as well as apex predators such as lion, leopard, wild dog and cheetah. Other general game is very abundant in the Park.
Bird life in the area is prolific (400+) and varied, with species frequenting teak woodlands as well as those more typical of the drier Kalahari being present.
- There are two tents in the main living area, one houses the dining room and the other the lounge and pub
- Plunge pool
- Outside bush shower
- Waterhole and “log pile” hide in front of camp.
Lion, large herds of elephant, buffalo, leopard, rhino, hyaena, giraffe, sable, wildebeest, impala, waterbuck and reedbuck are all found on the concession. The highlight here is the large open plains where one can see large quantities of animals. Summer game viewing is excellent with wildebeest, zebra and eland found in abundance on the plains. In winter the waterholes are magnets for elephant and sometimes, up to 1 000 elephants come down to drink at each waterhole.
- Game drives in 2 x 7 seater Land Rovers (wind-resistant ponchos are provided during winter months)
- Walking safaris
- Hides in the area and in front of the camp.
- Evening drives with red filtered spotlight for nocturnal animals.
Suggested Daily Activity Schedule
- 05h00/06h00 - Wake up
- 05h30/06h30 - Light breakfast
- 06h00/07h00 - Game drive / walk with drinks and snacks
- 10h30/11h00 - Brunch/lunch
- Option to rest or sit at one of the hides
- 15h30/15h30 - Afternoon tea
- 16h00/16h00 - Game drive / walk with drinks and snacks
- 20h00/20h00 - Dinner
Electricity & Water
- Camp has a 220v generator
- Solar-powered electricity in the tents which power the lights and fans.
- Video batteries can be charged.
- Arrangements can be made for power connections for sleep apnoea machines.
- Water for showers is heated by solar power.
All drinks are included in the nightly tariff, except for imported champagne and wine (which must be ordered prior to arrival) and hard-to-obtain drinks such as Bourbon etc.
Daily service, weather permitting, included in the nightly tariff.
Curios must be paid on purchase. Payment can be effected by cash (US$) or travellers’ cheques. Please note that the camp has no facility for credit card payments.
Please be advised that Zimbabwe regulations require non-Zimbabwean residents to settle hotel extras account in foreign currency, unless proof of exchange in the form of an official receipt from a registered bank is presented.
Flying Times (Using a 5 seater Cessna 206)
- To/From Hwange airport: 20 minutes
- To/From Victoria Falls airport: 1 hour
- To/From Kariba airport: 1 hour 40 minutes
- To/From Mana West airstrip: 2 hours 5 minutes
- To/From Harare airport: 2 hours 10 minutes
- The airstrip is called Linkwasha
- Airstrip located 20 minutes’ drive from camp
- Airstrip coordinates: S 19.07.24, E027.12.05
- 1000m long marked: 1100 metres available
- Runway directions: 03/21
- Elevation: 3300ft
- Caution: High trees approximately 100m from threshold of runway 21
- Surface is hard dirt and can be used in all weather.
- No night landings.
- Can take King Air 90s provided that they have high flotation landing gear, King Air 200s, PC12s, Cessna caravans, Cessna 210s.
Tips/gratuities for guides can be made directly and there is a tip box in the main area for the junior staff.
The following is the suggested gratuity schedule only and is subject to service standards:
- Guides - US$10.00 per person per day
- General Camp Staff - US$5.00 per person per day
- Specialist Guides (if applicable) - US$10.00 per person per day
Number of tents:
6 tents in total consisting of:
- 4 twin-bedded tents
- 1 double tent.
- 1 family tent which comprises 2 adjoining rooms sharing a bathroom (sleeps 4 comfortably).
This camp can currently accommodate 12 guests (14 if the family room is booked).
- Luxury tents on the ground.
- En-suite bathrooms in tents.
- All tents have an outside shower.
- Wooden doors.
- Fans in all guest tents.
- Veranda with 2 chairs and a view
- Shampoos, body shower gel, body lotion, guest soap, sunscreen, room spray, shower cap, accessory kit, insect repellents spray/cream, mosquito coil, rechargeable torch, umbrella and robes are supplied in each tent.
Location Seasons / Child Policy
Seasons / Child Policy
Little Makalolo lies in the heart of Hwange National Park, in one of its best game viewing areas, overlooking a vibrant waterhole. The camp's six rooms have en-suite facilities, with both indoor and outdoor showers.
End to end personalised service & 24 hour emergency travel support